Thursday, January 12, 2012

Having boys, I have learned......

Every since I was young and dreamed of becoming a mother, I always wanted four boys. I was super athletic, active and loved being outdoors when I was growing up, so I thought I would do a better job raising boys.

Well, God has blessed me with three amazing little boys and as I type that, it puts on a little grin on my face just thinking about how blessed I am. When we talk about having a fourth, and that it could potentially be a girl, I get a little nervous. All I really know are boys: trucks, balls, loud noises, messes, etc, so the thought of dolls, playhouses, pink, bows and having to do hair, really freaks me out. Don't get me wrong, I adore all the little girls I know and I would be more than happy to watch your daughter for ya, but having my own, really makes me nervous.

Since I have three boys, I have learned a lot about the World of Boys these past five years. If you have a son, you may relate to a few of these or if you have all boys, you may relate to all of the following:

Having boys, I have learned:
*That decorations for holidays just isn't going to happen until they are all out of the house. They tend to take the decorations I have set out and use them as weapons or target practice.

*I posted this a long time ago as a status on Facebook, but thought I would say it again; throw pillows are horrible to have on the couch or beds because they are used for one of the following: weapons, walls to their forts or obstacle course, shields, or tissues/napkins.

*I am beginning to believe that the appropriate position for the toilet seat is to be up.

*They go by the rule, "If it's yellow, let it mellow."

*That peeing with your brother, at the same time, is the new thing to do.

*No accessories needed, all boys need are shorts, a shirt (some of the time), and as Joseph once said, "I don't need shoes, I have my feet." Reminds me of that Kenny Chesney song from back in the day (did I just say that?), "No shoes, no shirt, no problem."

*Every firm, straight thing (sticks, wood,etc) can be used for several things, some examples are: sword, bat, or spear.

*That by age 5, 3/4 of their shirts will consist of some superhero; Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and one I learned last night, Flash.

*That they don't really care if they match or coordinate. They wear their favorite shirt, favorite shorts, favorite jacket and favorite shoes, no matter if it coordinates. Example below.....
*They like to build "blocks".....whatever that means. To clarify, it's not them stacking blocks, because that would be good and they would be learning, but no, to build "blocks" in this house means to get as many toys as you can find and put them in front or behind (my least favorite location) doors. Example.......this "block" is in front of a door, a little better than behind the door. *I don't think the words "Quiet" and "Walk" are in a boys vocabulary.

*If they see any type of furniture that is a foot or more off the ground, their goal is to climb to the top of it and jump off.

*Anything that is round shaped, is a considered a ball and most be thrown.

*Have to be super careful about how you ask questions, as an example:
(C, my almost 3 yr old, is in Joseph's bed during rest time, but is to be in his bed)
Me: Christian, you are to be in your bed and if I catch you in Joe's bed again, you are going to be disciplined. Joseph, please be an encourager to Christian and if see him doing something he's not supposed to be doing, encourage him to do the right thing. Do you want to see him be disciplined?
Joseph: Uhhhhh. Yes!
(Doh! Not what I was going for!)

*And as the next couple of pictures will show, it is very difficult to get one picture with them all looking and smiling at the camera.
















.....Seriously, is it that difficult for you boys to look at your Mama and smile?


Even though it's nice to escape this male dominated house every once and a while for a pedicure, clothes shopping or coffee with some of my girlfriends, the World of Boys is pretty entertaining. And even though we have our fair share of chaotic moments, we have a lot of precious moments that I know will pass by quickly. I love these little guys so much and as happy as I am that God has blessed me with them, I am so glad they have each other. They truly are a "Band of Brothers," and my prayer for them is that they will continue to have the love, support and bond they have now, the rest of their lives.



















1 comment:

Suth-ern Mama said...

Love your insights, Lindsay! And even though I only have one, I am in total agreement with your observations. Love your boys and love you! :)